This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MakeGameTimeSaucy #CollectiveBias
Spicy Black Bean Recipe
Now that the days are cooler and fall is just around the corner it is the perfect time to turn our menus to game time soups, stews, and chilis. And, my amazing Spicy Black Beans…mmm…
When Chuck and I spent our summer in Brazil back in 1994, one of the team’s favorite meals was Black Beans and Rice. It was so delicious, filling, and simple to make. We teens used to beg for our leaders to make it. I spent the first few years of our marriage trying to find a black bean recipe that we enjoyed… to no avail. Every recipe I tried was bland and flavorless. A couple of years ago I came up with a recipe for Spicy Red Beans and Rice, but somehow I could never get the same, rich flavor when I tried to make it with black beans.
Now that I have my Instant Pot I decided it was time to ban the bland try my hand at a Spicy Black Bean recipe again…and guess what? This time I hit the jackpot. This recipe is simple, cheap, and protein packed. It only takes a few minutes to prep (no need to soak the beans with a pressure cooker) and doesn’t heat up my kitchen. This recipe for Spicy Black Beans uses just a few simple ingredients. It is perfect for busy days. Nothing to thaw out and most ingredients are already in my pantry. The real star in this recipe is the 24 oz. Pace® Salsa Verde. This salsa is full-flavored and just spicy enough to give the black beans some a kick. Just make sure you have enough to add to the beans after they are done too.
- 4 cups black beans
- 1 TBSP beef soup base or bouillon
- 1 TBSP chopped garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 24 ounce jar of Pace® Salsa Verde
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1-2 tomatoes
- 1 cup Pepper Jack Cheese
- Place black beans in Instant Pot
- Add enough water so you have water about two inches above the beans.
- Add beef bouillon, garlic, and salt
- Add ½ 24 ounce jar of Pace® Salsa Verde (the rest will be used after the beans are cooked)
- Cover Instant Pot and press Bean/Chili button. If you don’t have that option, choose High for 30 minutes.
- While beans are cooking:
- Chop smoked sausage and brown in pan.
- Chop green onions, cilantro and tomato.
- When beans done, release pressure and mix in the smoke sausage.
- Serve over rice or chips with green onions, cilantro, tomato, cheese, Pace® Salsa Verde and Pace® Salsa.
And for those of you who are a little more visual, here is a video I made of Kalina (my lovely assistant) making the Spicy Black Beans.
Hover on the image to order Pace® products so you too can add some spice to your life with my Spicy Black Bean recipe!
Get more recipe inspiration here.